It is shocking just how many online businesses do not utilize an editorial calendar. Without a doubt, every online business needs an editorial calendar. Many online businesses have suffered dearly because their clients take priority and the content creation side of business takes a back seat.
Making your own business a priority by planning an editorial calendar will help your business grow.
Editorial calendars are an intentional content plan to help establish your brand as an expert, build community, and leverage partnership collaborations. When setting up an editorial calendar you are alleviating the stressors of writing content last minute.
If you are going through this right now, you know that it is draining you. The truth is that you don’t have the creative energy or motivation to grow your businesses in other ways if you have a cloud over you until you finish your next post.
Creating an editorial calendar makes it possible for you to organize thoughts and divide content into appropriate themes. Even when you know what you want to write about the process can take time, more time than you have available. It may seem cumbersome to develop an editorial calendar- yet again, another task for you to do in the month. Guaranteed this is something that WILL save you time if you can commit to it.
I don’t want to bore you with stats but its just math. The Content Marketing Institute informs us that many companies fail to see a return on investment from their content marketing because they don’t create a plan for getting everything done. Planning equals success.
Your online business needs an editorial calendar, but it’s not only about keeping you on track.
Every online business can benefit from an editorial calendar, and here are the top reasons why:
- Editorial calendars accumulate all your ideas, deadlines for creating content, promotions, and seasonal campaigns all in one place.
- Editorial calendars can keep your team organized by designating tasks from a shared tool so that everyone is working together for content marketing cohesiveness.
- Your audience will see you as being consistent, and consistency builds trust.
- Planning your content ahead of time will increase lead generation as you write with a focus that is geared to attract your target market.
- Editorial calendars play a vital role in your social media marketing strategy. High-engaging posts can be topics for your editorial calendar, and your editorial calendar content can be repurposed for your social media posts.
- Managing the balance between your content on social media platforms can all be done on your editorial calendar. Over time, you will see which platform is getting more traction and for what type of content.
- Collaborations! If you aren’t planning, that just plainly means more work for yourself. Scheduling guest content is a brilliant way for you to give yourself a break AND allow another online business to get exposure on your site. This is literally a win-win.
- Your Affiliate Program can benefit greatly from an editorial calendar. You can provide your affiliates with content ideas based on your editorial calendar theme, and increase affiliate involvement in the content creation for your affiliate program. Incorporate a themed hashtag for you and your affiliates to use on social media platforms according to your editorial calendar scheduled content.
- Setting time aside to plan an editorial calendar will allow you time to improve Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Without an editorial calendar, you stress yourself trying to get content out in a hurry. That doesn’t leave time for you to maximize the opportunity for your content to rank high on search engines.
If you are serious about growing your business, then consider this. What is the point of you rushing to get content published, then wonder why it is doing absolutely nothing (or very little) for increasing traffic to your site?
You cannot get organic results without purposefully planning what words to use to optimize your listing in search engines. You need a well-planned-out editorial calendar to publish content that works for your business.
The competition is too intense out there for you to not plan for success with an editorial calendar. Being intentional about what you inform your audience, about answering their questions, and about providing well-planned content will set your online business apart from the rest.